molten pimento cheese pork rind croquets
- exclusive recipe from james beard award winning author and chef Tim Byres
- southern recipe small batch pork rinds, sea salt & cracked black pepper |
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 tsp. pimento red peppers, diced
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. water
1. Mix the cheese, one egg, hot sauce, lemon juice, diced pimento pepper & 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch in a large bowl until soft dough forms.
2. Roll dough into small balls and place in the freezer until thoroughly chilled, about 10 minutes.
3. Crush pork rinds to create a breadcrumb texture and place in a small bowl. Add one egg into bowl #2 with water and whisk. In bowl #3, and add remaining cornstarch.
4. To bread the croquets, first coat the cheese balls in cornstarch, then coat the balls in the egg wash, and finally coat with the pork rind crumbs.
5. In a medium frying pan, heat oil over high heat. Fry cheese balls until golden brown, 30-60 seconds per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with your favorite sauce for dipping or hot sauce.