Bourbon Bacon Jam
- 1 bag of Southern Recipe Small Batch Pork Rinds
- 1-1/2 pounds of bacon
- 2 cups of shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup Vidalia onion or any sweet onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Fry the bacon in two frying pans to allow for room for it to crisp up properly. Cook over medium heat until it browns perfectly. You want the bacon a little crisper with as little visible fat as possible. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess fat.
2. Leave about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the fat in one of the pans. Add shallot and onion to the pan, cook over medium heat until caramelized. Add the garlic and cook for two minutes.
3. Add the chili powder and smoked paprika, stir to combine.
4. Increase heat to high and add the bourbon (carefully) and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, stir and scrape the pan so all the bacon bits come loose. Continue boiling for 3 minutes.
5. Add vinegar and brown sugar, continue to boil for 4 minutes.
6. Using a sharp knife cut the bacon into small pieces. You can also tear it by hand so it looks more rustic.
7. Toss the bacon into the pan, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes – stirring as the mixture thickens and begins to look jam.
8. Serve with Southern Recipe Small Batch pork rinds, over warm bread or transfer to jars and store in the fridge.
This amazingly delicious Bacon Jam recipe was made on-air by our very own Mark Singleton. Thanks Dallas WFAA 8 for the segment! This jam pairs perfectly with our Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper Rinds!